Monash University Malaysia (MUM) was founded in 1998. As Australia’s largest university expands globally, MUM stands as its third-largest campus worldwide. It proudly became Malaysia’s first foreign university campus, attracting around 8000 students and 1200 lecturers. MUM is a self-accrediting university and a prominent player in the education industry. It offers various schools, including Business, Engineering, and Information Technology. Like many educational institutions, Monash utilizes Moodle as its primary LMS platform, known as Monash Moodle.
Challenge: Enhancing Teaching and Learning with Moodle
Monash University Malaysia and Moodle
- Monash University Malaysia has been leveraging Moodle as a powerful tool to support their teaching and learning endeavors.
- Moodle enables increased student engagement by providing seamless access to content and materials.
- Students can access course resources at their convenience, regardless of time or location, as long as they have an internet connection and an authorized account.
Partnering with Pukunui Malaysia
- Recognizing the vast scope of Moodle’s development and the continuous introduction of new features, Monash University Malaysia’s Department of Education Excellence sought the assistance of Pukunui Malaysia.
- Collaborative discussions between Pukunui Malaysia and Monash University Malaysia identified key training areas to focus on for their staff and academics.
Empowering Staff and Academics
- The primary aim of the training was to introduce Monash Moodle and empower staff and academics who are new to the platform.
- The training aimed to build confidence and proficiency in utilizing Monash Moodle for learning and teaching.
Monash Moodle Solution
In collaboration with the Department of Education Excellence, Pukunui Malaysia provided a range of training sessions designed to equip Monash University Malaysia’s staff and academics. These sessions were carefully tailored to address their specific needs. The training covered the following areas:
- Administrator and Support Training
|Administrative Tools||Moodle Block|
Unit settings, Start Date, End Date
Backup, Restore, Import
Enrolments and roles
Filters and outcomes
|Activity and Resources||Activities and resources to be used in Monash Moodle|
|Groups & Grouping||Creating Groups|
Managing import / export group
|Assessments||Advanced grading (rubrics) |
|Gradebook||Setting up & Organise |
Import / export grades
|Creating & Managing Forums||Types of forums|
How it can be used in Monash Moodle
|Completion Progress||To setup completion and track the progress|
- Introduction to Moodle
|Introduction to Moodle||Basic functions and features of Moodle, login and dashboard|
|Adding activities and resources||Activity and Resource types|
|Organising Moodle sites||How to add, delete, move, hide content and areas in Moodle|
|Groups and groupings||How to set up groups and groupings|
How to set up self-selection activity
|How to use and manage forums||Types of forums|
How they can be used in Monash Moodle
- Gradebook and Assessment Training
|Setting up gradebook||Setting up & Organising|
Import / export of grades
|Setting up assessments||Creating an assignment submission box|
Creating a Quiz
- Advanced Moodle Training
|Advanced grading||Rubric creation and marking|
|Access restrictions||Using access restrictions to provide structured / differentiated learning pathways|
- H5P Training
|H5P interactive video||About H5P|
Creating and editing H5P Content
Adding an H5P activity to a course
Embedding H5P into other activities
Through these targeted training sessions, staff and academics were empowered to maximize their utilization of Monash Moodle, enhancing their teaching and learning capabilities.
Initially, all the sessions were set up as online training due to the Covid-19 restrictions. Three sessions were conducted online, and the first face-to-face training was on 14th June 2022. For me, it was great to run a face-to-face session after two years of online training sessions!
At the time of posting this, the training sessions for Monash Moodle is still ongoing. I’m really looking forward to the next training sessions – Introduction to Moodle Training and H5P Training.
If you would like us to provide similar sessions for you, your staff, university or company, please get in touch.