Third Party Integrations
TPI: Third Party Integration
TPI Provider: Third Party Integration Provider
MSA: Moodle Support Agreement
Pukunui: Refers to Pukunui Technology (Australia), Pukunui Ltd (Hong Kong), Pukunui Sdn Bhd (Malaysia) its workers, or any contractors that are employed to provide Pukunui services;
The Client: Person or Organisation which has an MSA with Pukunui;
The following policy covers assistance, consultation, and advice to clients and TPI Providers regarding connection of TPIs to The Client's Moodle sites;
Third Party Integrations usually connect a Moodle site to an external system. This might be via APIs, direct database connection, or by passing data in files, with data flowing one or two ways between the two systems. Many TPIs also rely on Third Party Plugins. See our Third Party Plugins policy.
Examples of TPIs include but are not limited to;
- Single Sign On (SSO) / Alternate authentication methods - Allow access to a Moodle site by authenticating against an external system
- Administration support systems - e.g.Information management systems, HR systems and course management systems
- Document management and plagiarism tools - may help with document sharing, uploading to Moodle or plagiarism checking
- Payment provider integrations - to sell courses, subscriptions and add ecommerce features to a Moodle site
- Web conferencing and communication tools - usually allow access to a third party system without the need for the user to log in to that system. e.g. BigBlueButton, Zoom, Microsoft Teams
Pukunui will not be held responsible for any issues, unsanitized data, data loss, data corruption or similar on the clients site caused by a TPI. Third party integrations are not supported in any way.
Generally TPIs are outside the scope of our MSA. This means that there may be costs involved in requirements gathering, consultancy, and configuration.
If requested to add or configure a TPI, or provide advice to a TPI Provider, Pukunui will take one of the following courses of action:
- For those TPIs with which we are familiar or have previously configured, and on agreement of any costs involved, we will go ahead with setting up the integration
- For all other TPIs including new development and consultancy for TPI Providers, Pukunui will make an assessment based on documentation provided by the TPI Provider, to ascertain whether the TPI is detrimental to the operation of The Client's site or to the delivery of our services. There may be costs involved for this assessment. Following the assessment Pukunui will make one of the following recommendations:
- The TPI has satisfactorily passed our assessment. This does not necessarily imply that there are no issues, or the integration or API calls are optimised, but Pukunui is satisfied that it will operate in a way which will not affect the running of The Client's site;
- The TPI needs some revisions. Pukunui will provide a list of issues and a development quote (if applicable) to fix them. The Client may still choose to go ahead with the TPI without the changes being made but this will impact the MSA as outlined below;
- The integration is detrimental to the delivery of Pukunui services, or will greatly affect the running of the site. Pukunui will not consent to the TPI. If The Client continues with the TPI without the consent of Pukunui then this will impact the MSA as outlined below.
- Pukunui, as part of the MSA will upgrade and provide technical support for all core Moodle modules;
- TPIs are not supported in any way. While Pukunui may choose to advise and provide helpdesk support for TPIs, and consult with TPI Providers this does not in any way form a binding contract to provide such services in the future;
- Pukunui is not obligated to upgrade the core Moodle code of The Client's site when doing so will make the site not usable due to the use of a TPI;
- The MSA is voided if The Client chooses to integrate without the consent of Pukunui a TPI that has been deemed detrimental to the delivery of Pukunui services.
If you have any questions regarding this policy, or your dealings with our website, please contact you local office: